Mowital® for special applications
Polyvinyl butyrals meet the requirements for an enormous number of applications. Mowital® for instance is an essential component of prepregs and composite materials, adding flexibility to the thermosetting matrix resin, e.g. for the production of aerospace interior.
The use of Mowital® in structural adhesives enables thermo-plasticity, improved flexibility and good adhesion to various substrates. Their lasting binding power makes them suitable as a basis for stoving enamels.
As a component of corrosion-protection primers Mowital® not only prevents steel from rusting but also provides excellent surface adhesion. The superior flow and pigment wetting properties of Mowital® make this product class highly suitable for the manufacture of predispersed pigment preparations and printing inks for e.g. food packagings.
Furthermore, Mowital® permits the special build-up of retroreflective coatings in road traffic signs and markings – and thus increases road traffic safety.
- soluble in alcohols / organic solvents
- Fast drying, fast solvent release and low solvent retention
- Thermoplastic polymer
- excellent film formation
- Transparent and colourless
- Light resistant
- Good barrier properties
- Tough polymer with excellent flexibility
- Broad compatibility with modifying resins and additives
- Crosslinkable by phenolic-, melamine-, isocyanate- and epoxy-resins
- Consists only of C,O and H - no problems with disposal / combustion
- High adsorption capacity to oily, greasy liquids
- Non toxic and low odor
- Meets various recommendations of different foodstuff legislations
(FDA 21 CFR § 175.300 resinous and polymeric coatings / Council of Europe, Resolution AP (96) 5 on surface coatings intended to come into contact with food stuffs)
- Good adhesion properties on many substrates
- Binder for abrasives and sandpaper
- Candle coatings
- cardboard packaging impregneations
- foundry aids
- magnetic tape coatings
- retro-reflecting films
- spot weldable paints
- thermoplastic binders
- welding rod impregnations
- writing cores for pencils and coloured pencils